Investments in alternative assets - including hedge funds, venture capital, private equity, real estate, and oil and gas - have increased dramatically in the past five years. The Alternative Asset Management specialization is part of the Finance major and EnCap Investments and LCM Group Alternative Asset Management Center at SMUCox. Cox undergrads who are interested in alternative assets apply for admission to this specialization during their junior year at SMU. The program includes two specific courses in alternative assets and a summer internship.
- General Education Curriculum
- Business Core Courses
- Finance Core
- Advanced Financial Management (FINA 4325)
- Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management (FINA 4326)
- Alternative Asset Management Specialization:
- Intermediate Accounting I (ACCT 3311)**
- Alternative Asset Management I (FINA 5340)
- Alternative Asset Management II (FINA 5341)
- One advanced Finance selected from:
Students in this program are also strongly encouraged to take Intermediate Accounting II (ACCT 3312).
- Financial Statement Analysis (ACCT 5321)
- Speculative Markets (FINA 4327)
- Honors Practicum in Portfolio Management (FINA 5332 and FINA 5232)
Sample Degree Plan
This is one example of how this major can be sequenced. Degree plans are based on the year of entry to SMU, and are subject to change. Current students should work with their academic advisor to create their four year degree plan.
|First Year||Introduction to College Writing|
Micro Economics / Perspectives
|Seminar in Critical Writing|
|Sophomore||Fundamentals of Accounting I|
|Fundamentals of Accounting II|
Information Systems for Management
Business Communication/Leader Dev'l.
|Junior||Intermediate Accounting I|
Management of Organizations
Fundamentals of Marketing
|Intermediate Accounting II|
Investment Analysis and Portfolio Mgt
Business Law and Ethics
|Senior||Advanced Financial Mgmt.|
Alternative Asset Management I
|Strategy or Entrepreneurship|
Advanced Accounting or Finance Elct.
Alternative Asset Management II