National Recognition for SMU Cox MSA Program
The word is getting out that SMU Cox Accounting is on the rise! We were recently ranked #8 for undergraduate accounting by Businessweek Bloomberg. Recognition of our top ten status is very exciting.
We also want to announce the addition of two new graduate faculty this fall:
- Dr. Tom Selling is a former Academic Fellow, Office of the Chief Accountant, US Securities and ExchangeCommission, served on the faculty of Thunderbird (emeritis status), Dartmouth College, MIT and Wake Forest University, and serves as a speaker, consultant and expert witness. You may know him as author of the accountingonion.com blog.
- Dr. Stan Markov is an outstanding accounting researcher addressing how information, accounting and non-accounting, is produced and used by information intermediaries and the capital market. His research is empirical and economic-based, and published in premier academic journals such as the Journal of Accounting and Economics, the Journal of Accounting Research, and the Review of Accounting Studies. Previously, he served on the faculty at Emory University and the Univerity of Texas-Dallas.
Additionally, last fall was been filled with case competitions showcasing the amazing students we have. Congratulations to:
- Coming off winning the 2012 national case competition conducted by the public accounting firm of Rothstein Kass, we are pleased to announce another student team from SMU Cox will be competing in New York in 2013 national finals. Last year, among the finalists for the national competition were the teams from UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, USC, UT-Austin, Lehigh University, Rutgers University, and the University of Notre Dame.
- A student team of graduate and undergraduate students from SMU Cox has been named a national finalist in the PwC xACT case competition. Quoting PwC, "We were extremely impressed with not only the content, but also the quality of the campus winning presentations. Our national review committee indicated that this year's solutions were very diverse, supported through in depth research and overall, very well done. You have really raised the bar for future competitions and you should all be proud of the effort you put forth, as well as the overall teamwork demonstrated." The PwC competition is one of the oldest and most prestigious of all the firm competitions. For our students, to be able to present in front of firm leadership in the national office is the "opportunity of a lifetime" for the students.
- A student team of two juniors and three sophomores from SMU Cox has won the Ernst & Young Beam Abroad Case Competition. The team defeated teams from Texas A&M, UT-Austin, Baylor, Texas Tech, Arizona State, and the University of Oklahoma to win a $5,000 prize and a trip to London over Spring Break. While in London there will be a lot of sight seeing, but also a trip to the EY London office. The students will also share a meal with EY Global leadership and hear more about their business.