The Cox Distinguished MBA Scholars Program awards approximately 5 full-tuition scholarships per year to the most outstanding students admitted into the Cox Full-Time MBA Program.
Students selected as Cox Distinguished MBA Scholars have the opportunity to enhance their business school experience through unique travel opportunities. Scholars participate in week-long career enhancing forums in New York City and Washington D.C. during Spring Break of each of their two years in the Full-Time MBA Program.
In New York City, students will visit the New York Stock Exchange and some of the world's leading financial institutions. They also travel to Washington, D.C. to broaden their awareness of the connections between business and government.
Strong candidates for the Cox Distinguished MBA Scholars Program will have the following attributes:
- Outstanding academic aptitude, as demonstrated through academic achievement in a rigorous undergraduate curriculum (3.6+ GPA preferred) and performance on the GMAT (700+ GMAT preferred)
- Leadership skills, as demonstrated through leadership roles in the workplace, academic institutions, and/or community organizations
- Significant work experience (minimum 3 years) and solid progression of professional achievement
- Clearly defined career goals
- Strong sense of social responsibility and business ethics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Make sure your name is clearly printed at the top of each essay page. You should upload your Cox Scholars application essays in the online application. If you decide to apply to the Cox Scholars program after you have already submitted your online application, please submit your essays to Dustin Cornwell at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Cox Distinguished MBA Scholars Submission." Hard-copy submissions will not be accepted.
- Briefly describe three current business issues/topics/controversies/puzzles that are of particular interest to you and about which you feel strongly; the selection committee will wish to engage you in a discussion of some of these topics if you are selected for an interview. Your response should be no more than 300 words.
- As a leader, how will you contribute to the Cox School of Business in the role of a Distinguished MBA Scholar? Your response to this topic should be no more than 300 words.
Selected candidates will be required to submit a $1,500 deposit upon accepting an official award offer. If they have already submitted their regular $750 deposit, they must submit an additional $750, for a total of $1,500. Award recipients who enroll and begin classes at the Cox School of Business in August will have their deposits refunded. The deposit is non-refundable to those who do not matriculate at SMU.